Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Vegan Cannellini and Basil Winter Soup... xx




Three recipes in three days! It appears the drought of posts maybe over? Unfortunately, this little adventure in blogging in no way aids my finances, which may explain the haphazard nature in which my blog posts arrive.
I have been anything but frivolous of late. I'm feeling like I have been on a financial diet for the longest time, using all my will power to stop me from spending all my hard earned dollars on random things. The last week I seem to have been bingeing on whatever takes my fancy. I am trying to get myself back in check and so instead of going out and buying lavish ingredients for an exciting recipe, I decided to bite the humble bullet and raid the refrigerator to make something that won't leave me with a blank expression when it appears on my dinner plate.

I have many jars full of wonderful things that sit in my cupboard waiting for the day I remember that they are there.

Serves: 10.
Time: 10 Minutes prep. 1 hour to cook.


Ingredients:

  • One sliced leek (Feel free to use onion).
  • Two cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped.
  • Two Tablespoons of olive oil.
  • One third of a cup of packed and roughly chopped basil leaves.
  • Three potatoes, skinned and cubed.
  • One can of tomatoes.
  • One star anise. 
  • Two tablespoons of tomato paste.
  • One cup of previously soaked cannellini beans. You could use any kind or bean. I think chick peas would work really well here. 
  • One Tablespoon of soy sauce.
  • One Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. 
  • Four cups of veggie stock.
  • A few shakes of pepper. 
Method:

Place all of these ingredients into a large pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for an hour or until the beans and potatoes are soft. Remove the star anise.

Serve on its own or with some hot, crusty bread for a perfect winter treat. 




2 comments: