Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A short and sweet recipe for Mustard Pickles.



It is  a glorious day here in Adelaide. Today, I plan on doing some painting and getting my art on before I host a drawing group tonight at Suzie Wong's Room.
Yesterday, I had a mad cooking day in case you didn't see all of my Facebook status updates. Myself and my lover had moseyed on over to the Torrens Island markets where we bought a ridiculous amount of food including a box of mushrooms, 14 punnets of strawberries and so much of a whole bunch of stuff for a lowly $30.
Yesterday I made mushroom stroganoff, mushroom pate, mushroom soup, mixed vegetable curry, a saag paneer for my lover, strawberry and vanilla bean jam, strawberry gin, apple chips, dehydrated strawberries and what will hopefully be rum and raisin chocolate fudge. I'm still working on the fudge recipe. I think I added too much milk initially. It's a work in progress at this stage but I swear I will get you the recipe as soon as it works.
I also made these Mustard Pickles. I love them because they remind me of picnics on sunny days with cute little sandwiches and bike rides along the river.
They are super easy to make.

Time: 15 Minutes prep. A night for the cucumbers to get all soft. A day to sit and get all pickle like.
Makes: 3.5 standard pasta sauce type jars full. 

Ingredients:

  • 5 Cucumbers, sliced.
  • 2 Red onions, halved and then sliced.
  • 1 Tbs Salt.
  • 1 Cup of raw caster sugar. 
  • 2 and a half cups of apple cider vinegar.
  • 1 Tbs of mustard seeds.
  • 1 teaspoon of turmeric. 
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander.
Method:

Place the cucumbers, onion and salt into a container with a lid and leave in the fridge overnight. The next day, wash the salt off in a colander and then dry with paper towel.

In a saucepan, add the vinegar, sugar and spices over medium heat. Heat through until the sugar dissolves. This should take about 5 minutes. Add the cucumber and wait for little bubbles to start appearing in the liquid. Take off the heat and place in sterilised jars. Place the lid on and set aside for one day for all the ingredients to get to know each other. Keep in the fridge once opened. 

Serve on sandwiches, toast, in a salad or with your favourite nut cheese.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you were busy in the kitchen!

    And I like the idea of making your own pickles, I have some cucumbers to use up so this recipe is just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually delicious and so easy! Hope you are having a lovely day! :)

      Delete