Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kung Pao Faux Chicken and a whole lotta love. x



I've been thinking a lot lately about the beautiful ladies I have in my life. We have all been having some very honest conversations about our directions in life and our lack of confidence.

It's amazing just how many strong, independent women I know who, when all walls are down, are actually very shy and insecure, although they exude this beauty and style that is incomparable when in polite society.

It's funny. The people that have come to know me the best over the years are often shocked at just how shy I can be. I come across as fiercely independent, apparently. This is only because I feel the need to get things done and have varied experiences in my life. I bury my insecurities deep down and focus on the task at hand. I refuse to let my shyness win.

Having said that, I can often become very quiet around people that I feel slightly in awe of. I over think my next sentence and don't end up saying much at all.

In all other aspects of my life, I can play the part of nurse, friend and all round good girl, although I never feel 100% correct in my choices. My shyness is incredibly frustrating.

We don't often get a lot of positive feedback in life. I think my shyness relates to not being sure if what I'm doing is good or likeable. I get very shy about my work, but lately I've been loving what I've been creating and that in itself is giving me inner-power.

Last week when I was deejaying, I was saying to my lover that I wasn't sure if people were liking the music I was playing. He said "Haven't you ever heard, no news is good news?" Even though I didn't get any positive or negative feedback during the set, after I was then asked to stay on for another hour and told how much people love having me there. I'm taking this phrase on board and it's helping to make me feel less worried about what kind of impact I am making on this world.

So perhaps, remember that no news is indeed good news, and give someone a compliment. It's a small gesture but it can really make a difference in someones life.

I guess in essence, love what you do. Love yourself and let others know how much you appreciate them. They may just return the favour.

Kung Po Faux Chicken

This recipe is delicious and inspired by all of the asian take out we so often purchase. The faux chicken melted in my mouth and the mushrooms were delectable. I hope you like it, too.

Time: 30 Minutes.
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

  • One Tablespoon of minced ginger.
  • Three cloves of minced garlic.
  • Half a red onion, sliced.
  • One and a half cups of vegetable stock.
  • Quarter of a cup of soy sauce. 
  • Quarter of a cup of rice wine vinegar.
  • Thee cups of quartered mushrooms.
  • One red capsicum, sliced.
  • One cup of sliced bamboo shoots.
  • Half a cup of cashews. (Traditionally, peanuts are used)
  • A light spray of oil. 
  • Chilli to taste.
  • One packet of faux chicken, or perhaps try some tofu chunks.
  • Wedges of lime, to serve
Method:

In a fry pan over medium heat, add the oil, onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil.

Put the lid on and leave to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. It shouldn't take long to cook.

If yours is still a little watery, mix one tablespoon of corn flour with two tablespoons of water to make a smooth paste. Add this to the mix and simmer for a further three to five minutes. I didn't need to do this, but it's a handy hint just in case. 

I served mine with some delicious quinoa and lime. 

I hope you are having an amazing day. x

Make some big jumps...



7 comments:

  1. Well I, for one, think you are amazing and wish I had half the confidence you exude (through your passions).
    Loving this new turn your blog is taking. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your support means the world to me! Thank you so much. :) x

      Delete
  2. I really identify with your words! I feel like I've spent a lot of my life not letting shyness stop me doing things. So, maybe it's actually been a gift because I wouldn't have done half the stuff I've done otherwise :) I like the 'no news is good news' defintiely going to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Being shy certainly gives me a determination to strive to be better and do better. It's a big world full of things to learn. :) x

      Delete
  3. Happy, happy feedback. Please keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally -- What you are doing IS good AND likeable! Please be patient with your shyness, it is just another aspect of lovely YOU! You inspire me and make me happy! Grateful . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cheryl. You're kind words really mean so much. I hope you are all well and lovely and that things are amazing for you. :) x

      Delete