Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Fulfilment and DIY Cinnamon Porridge.




How do you define success? I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I am working in a job that I feel completely blessed to have, but it's not where my heart lies. I find my passion lies in helping people to help themselves and although my job is wonderful, it just doesn't feel quite right. I miss seeing those "lightbulb moments" in people.

Many people don't have the luxury to think about their jobs this way. For many, a job is simply a means to an end. Why live your life doing something you don't enjoy? I've always found that when I want something in life, I figure out what I need to make that happen, and although it doesn't always happen straight away, it does happen eventually. I couldn't possibly comprehend spending the next 35 years working in a job that does nothing for me emotionally. Every day is a blessing and I want to put myself in a position where I can learn and give in way that makes my heart fill full instead of being stressed and dreading rolling out of bed. Moral of the story? Life is short. Do what you love.

The hard part is figuring out what it is I love the most.

 Before you go quitting your job, apply for those jobs you are interested in (and I stress, prior to quitting your current one) or take up studies as you work. It's a hard slog, but if you love it, it's worth it in the end.

I find myself pondering what "success" means. I mean, as long as there is food in my belly, clothes on my back, a roof over my head and the love of my friends and family, isn't that all I need? Money has never really meant much to me. I don't have a desire to have tonnes of it, so if I'm not chasing the dollar, what in turn can make me successful? Is it even a word that should be in our modern day vocabulary? I think perhaps "content" is a word better used in a day to day context.

What is it that makes us crave fulfilment?

And now something to create fulfilment in your belly. Porridge.

Do you remember that advert in the late 80's and through the 90's with the little scottish kid giving porridge a cute little mouthful? He was always telling people "That's not how you make porridge" until he finally got to a spoonful of microwaved, pre-paked oats. It was cute.

I was sent a packet of porridge from lovely Caroline over at Tea and Sympatico. As we are getting into the cooler months here in Australia, I was inspired by the nutty, simple deliciousness of it.
I grabbed some oats and make a mix to keep in my cupboard so I can grab it at anytime and have a healthy and delicious meal.

I've never been a big one for breakfast, but I am really making an effort. I've been making my own yogurt lately thanks to the help of a wonderful reader, Nina. More on that to come once I have perfected the coconut yogurt. So far, I have made soy and I currently have almond brewing at the moment. Autumn is looking wonderful.

Time: 10 minutes.
Makes: About 10 serves.

Ingredients:

  • 4 Cups of oats. I used biodynamic oats. They have not been heat treated and so, when heated, they don't get as gluggy as porridge often does. Please feel free to use whatever you can find or afford. 
  • 1 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
  • 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cloves.  
  • 1 Cup of almonds or other nuts.
  • 1 Cup of dried fruit (I used muscatels, but apple, raisins, apricot, dates or even goji berries would work. Use whatever fruit and nut or seed combination you like).
  • Half a Cup of coconut.
  • Half a teaspoon of sea salt. 
Method:

Chop the almonds. Place them in a frypan over low heat. Stir for a few minutes until they are lightly browned and you can smell that beautiful smell in the air.

Pop them in a bowl with the other ingredients and mix together. Store in an airtight container in the cupboard. 

When making your individual serves, take half a cup of the mixture and place in a bowl. Top with about three quarters of a cup to one cup of water and place in the microwave for three minutes. You may want to add more or less water depending on how you like your porridge. You may also choose to use a nut milk instead of water, but hey oats and water create a milky result so I never worry about that. 

You can also do this on the stovetop. Mix together in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until cooked. 


Below, I served my porridge with some apple, soy yogurt and maple syrup. It was so warm and filling. I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow.



I hope you are having a truly inspiring day! 


3 comments:

  1. It's summer here and we are still eating porridge the weathers been that bad! That mix sounds delicious. We've been thinking a lot about the sort of questions you raise in your post too. Matt has just managwd to go part time at work so he can do more music and I'm hoping to drop some hours in the next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! It's all about the balance. That crazy, stupid balance. I haven't forgotten to write you, either, but do you think I can find a nice letter set anywhere? It's as if people don't write on paper anymore. What a strange planet we live on!

      Delete
  2. It's taken me ages to catch up on my emails, so I'm only just seeing/reading this post now. I'm thinking I should go and toast some almonds right now, so we can have this for breakfast tomorrow. It sounds just lovely.
    I'm so pleased to hear the yoghurt making is going well. Do tell us how the coconut milk version works out.
    Oh, and I love the video clip too. I did rather enjoy 'Buffalo Stance', back in the day. :) xx

    ReplyDelete