Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mothers Day- Chai Hot Chocolate Spoons xx


Hey there, lovely people. I will do a wrap up of the Live Below the Line at a later date. Bit busy being crafty and getting ready for work. So much has been going on and I can't wait to tell you about it, alas, I must be quick.

Today, I have made some cute little chai style Hot Chocolate Spoons. I am very excited by the prospect of winter if only for all the tea, soup and hot chocolate I can drink. If you know me much, you know I have a lot of trouble sleeping. Last night at my local grocer, I found a fair trade vegan hot chocolate made with real chocolate beans. I drank that along with some vegan cookies because I felt like a bit of a treat. One hour later, I was fast asleep on the couch. It was like magic.

I often don't enjoy fake chocolate flavours which is why I don't often eat chocolate ice cream or chocolate topping. This is one of the reasons I thought these Hot Chocolate Spoons would be a great idea to make. Decadent, delicious and fun. Super cute, to boot.

Time: Two minutes prep, 30 minutes to set.
Makes: Six.


Ingredients:

  • Half a cup of non-dairy dark chocolate.
  • Half a teaspoon of powdered raw sugar (use a spice mill or a mortar and pestle to make raw sugar into a powder.)
  • A few drops of vanilla. Not too much or it will cause the chocolate to harden.
  • One small pinch of cinnamon.
  • One small pinch of black pepper. 
  • One small pinch of cardamon.
  • Six clean tea spoons.

Method:

Add the vanilla essence, sugar and chocolate into a bowl. Now, you need to melt the chocolate. You can do this one of two ways. You can place the bowl in a microwave and cook at 30 second intervals, stirring after every thirty seconds. This should only take one minute to one and a half minutes. Once a little starts to melt, if you stir the mix you'll see the rest starts to melt too. Be very careful not to overcook or the mix will harden.
If doing this on a stove top, you can use a double boiler or place the bowl in a sauce pan that has some water boiling in it. Ideally, your bowl with the chocolate in it should not touch the bottom and you need to make sure that you don't get any water in the chocolate mix. Be super careful with this method! Stir when you notice the chocolate start to melt.
Take off the heat or out of the microwave and add the cinnamon, cardamon and black pepper. Stir. 
Take your clean spoons and scoop up some of the chocolate mix into each one.
Place on baking paper on top of a tray and let set in the fridge.
Once ready, wrap with ribbons and add a hand written card, telling the intended recipient how much you love them and to dunk it in hot nut milk for about 3 minutes. 
And there you have it. A cute little gift your mum will love. xx

2 comments: