Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dahl-ling! Quick and easy Vegan Dahl recipe.

I think I lived off this stuff for my whole Uni life. This and carrot soup. It's yummy and if you are really poor, you can make it with just lentils, spices and water. Trust me... I've done it.

You will need:
One chopped onion.
Two cloves of garlic, crushed.
Two tablespoons of olive oil.
One cup of yellow split peas.
One cup of red lentils.
One tin of crushed tomatoes.
One can of coconut milk.
400 mls of water.
1 tablespoon of veggie salt or 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce or tamari.
1 tablespoon each of cumin, coriander and turmeric.
Fresh chopped tomato for garnish.

Method:
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onions and spices on medium heat until translucent. Add the spices and stir. Then, add the lentils and peas and stir for about three minutes. Add the tomato, coconut milk, water, veggie salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then let simmer with the lid mostly on for about half an hour to forty minutes, until the peas are soft. Garnish with fresh coriander and tomatoes.
If you serve it with rice, it's apparently a 'complete' meal- so good for you and yummy too!

7 comments:

  1. Yummo! I love making dahl, so quick & easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's soooo good! sometimes i use it as a dip too. I love it with fresh coriander, lettuce and tomato. mmm mmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this, again, for dinner tonight. this is one of the loveliest, simplest Dahls I've come across.
    I'm just about to share this link with the ACT Vegan and Veg Society FB page. Everybody needs to make this. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I'm glad you are still enjoying this recipe. Hard to imagine that i posted it a year and a half ago. How time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally,
    You are probably unsurprised to discover this is STILL an often made favourite around our place.
    Thought I'd do something I bit different for tonight. I'm using soaked and cooked soy beans, passata in place of the crushed tomatoes and a huge chunk of pumpkin, cut into cubes.
    All the preparation work's been done. Just waiting for 5pm to roll around, to start.
    I hope life is treating you, and yours, well.
    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nina, That's so cool. The website name is about to lapse if I don't reapply, and I haven't been here in such a long time. I was wondering if I should just let it go. Thank you for your lovely support throughout the years. :) I hope you and your family are fantastic. xx

      Delete