Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sweet Potato, Carrot and Pumpkin Soup



Four weeks ago I bought a hell of a lot of veggies from my local market for a bargain price. May I just say that this market is being bought out by Woolworths. It's so sad. I don't shop at Coles or Woolworths.
It's at that stage where all of the veggies are starting to wilt and go bad. So now is the time where we start to get creative. Many of the capsicum were cut and placed under the grill until the skin burned. The skin was then pealed off and the flesh was placed in a jar with a little salt and pepper.

The zucchini and half of the sweet potato were cut and placed in the oven at 200C/ 400F for about half an hour, turning after 15 minutes. These now sit in the fridge and I take a handful to put in my salad for lunch everyday.

And then there is the soup. The perfect food to make with wilted veggies.This simple, easy to make and yet completely delicious soup.

I think I may say that about everything I post on here but hey, I guess I'm a little bias. I was initially thinking about making a sweet potato and peanut soup but I really don't think that I could handle peanuts in a soup base.

I ate a lot of carrot soup as a poor student and I still do really like the sweet taste.

Pumpkin Soup. Pumpkin. Soup. Need I say more on that subject?

Time: 10 minutes prep and 20 minutes to half an hour to cook.
Serves: 4.

Ingredients:
  • One onion, chopped.
  • One clove of garlic, minced.
  • Half a medium sweet potato, chopped.
  • About two cups of diced pumpkin.
  • Two carrots, chopped.
  • One bay leaf.
  • One sprig of Rosemary.
  • One teaspoon of dried basil. 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste.
Method:

Place the ingredients in a pan and fry on medium heat for a few minutes, stirring the whole time.
Add about six cups of vegetable stock, or enough to just cover the veggies. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. I like to leave mine simmering for as long as possible, even up to an hour. If you do this, make sure you check the water levels regularly and top up if needed.
Blend in a blender or with a hand blender.

Serve hot and keep leftover soup in a sealed jar in either the fridge or freezer.

I've been taking this soup to work with me and in fact, I'm going to eat some now.

2 comments:

  1. I have sweet potato in the pantry and harvested 2 pumpkins and some carrots a few days ago. I'm not sure what the weather's like 'round your parts' but it's COLD here already... so I'm making this for dinner tonight. :)
    I posted this link on my fb page and at least one other friend's making it tonight too!
    Thank you Sally xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nina! :) Hope you liked it :) It's not cold here at all yet, but there has been a massive thunder/ hail storm here today. Crazy stuff! :) xx

    ReplyDelete