Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Full Of Goodness Vegan Muesli Bars.

I often have these sitting around for those times when I am starving and want to eat something I probably shouldn't. You can play around with the types of nuts, seeds and dried fruit to change the flavour from time to time. These beautiful little bars make a perfect breakfast, brunch or between meal snack and we can all rest assured that they are doing good things for our insides. They're quick and easy to make and did I mention delicious? They freaking are.

When I say fat and sugar free, I am referring to processed fat and refined sugar.

Time: 10 mins prep time and 20 mins cooking time.
Makes: 11.

Ingredients:
  • One ripe banana. (Very expensive here in Australia at the moment. Mine cost me $3.)
  • 1 cup of dates that have been soaked in water for about 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from water.
  • 1 cup of nuts. (I used half walnuts and half almonds).
  • 1/2 cup of dried fruits. (I used 1/4 goji and 1/4 cranberries).
  • 1/4 cup of seeds. (I used Pepita's. You could even use shredded coconut).
  • 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
  • 2 Tablespoons of rice syrup or your sweetener of choice.
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence.
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
  • 2 cups of oats.
  • 1/4 cup of water.
Method:

In your trusty food processor, add the banana, dates, nuts, fruit, seeds, nutmeg, sweetener, vanilla essence, and salt. Blend for about three minutes. You don't want it to become smooth but you do want it to clump together and you don't want any massive chunky bits.

Once this is done, take out the blade in your food processor, and in an effort to save dishes, add the oats and the water. Mix together with a spoon or your hands until the mixture is sticking together.

Then, get out an oven pan and line with a baking sheet. Set your oven at 180C or 350F.

Take the mixture and form muesli bar shaped rectangles. Mine were about 10cm by 3cm. Line them up on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes.

When they are ready, take them out of the oven and leave to cool on a cake rack.

A delicious 'anytime' snack. xx

9 comments:

  1. Yum! How long do you think these would keep? And how do you store them? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I have left them in a tupperwear container on top of my fridge for two weeks and they've been fine. I'd probably recommend actually putting them inside your fridge and eating them within two weeks.... hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beautiful. even i made them yummy! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! That's so lovely. Thank you so much for the feedback. It's great to hear. Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  4. Do you think it would work if I used honey instead of rice syrup/sweetner?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. But then it wouldn't be vegan. Other good alternatives are coconut nectar and agave syrup. You could probably even make a date paste with some dates and a bit of water or orange juice, blended together. As long as they stick together and aren't to runny or dry, they should work fine. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  5. These sound amazing. Are they (or any of your nut/seed bars crunchy? (Like a granola bar not a soft bar)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lovely,
      These ones are a soft bar. I don't think any of my bars are crunchy. Sorry! I do love crunchy bars, too. :)

      Delete
  6. Gonna make these for my fussy 20 month old for tomorrow's lunch- wish me luck! : )

    ReplyDelete